The 1887 born artist Max Ackermann studied 1906 at the art school in Weimar with Henry van de Velde, from 1909 with Franz von Stuck at the Royal Bavarian Art Academy in Munich. In 1912 he moved to Stuttgart to the Königlich Württembergische Kunst-Akademie and became a pupil of Adolf Hölzl. With him he developed his very own abstract painting style.
Already from 1913 he earned his living as a freelance artist, inspirations by cubism and futurism were reflected in his works. Ackermann met Kandinsky, Grosz, Mondrian, Leger, Werefkin, Macke and Dix, with whose works he dealt. In 1930 he founded a seminar for “Absolute Painting” at the Volkshochschule in Stuttgart. Already at this time paintings of the artist were exhibited in the Stuttgart Staatsgalerie.
From 1936 his works were considered degenerate and he was banned from teaching and exhibiting. Ackermann then moved to Lake Constance, but developed his painting style further and finally turned completely to color abstraction. In 1950 he became a member of the newly founded “Deutscher Künstlerbund” and the “Sezession Oberschwaben-Bodensee” founded in 1947. In 1957, the state of Baden-Württemberg awarded him the title of professor. In 1964 he was the guest of honour at Villa Massimo in Rome, where his Roman pastel series was created. Max Ackermann was artistically active until his death in 1975.